MCLEAN HOSPITAL LAB MANAGER
LABORATORY FOR BRAIN AND COGNITIVE HEALTH TECHNOLOGY
**** This is a HYBRID WORK position (1-2days/wk in person, 3-4days/wk remote), actively recruiting as of May 13, 2022 ****
The Laboratory for Brain and Cognitive Health Technology at McLean Hospital is a rapidly growing program within Harvard Medical School and the Institute for Technology is Psychiatry (ITP), aimed at building accessible, equitable, and scientifically robust tools for measuring cognitive function in health and disease. The lab is looking for a new Lab Manager to serve as the right hand to principal investigator, Dr. Laura Germine. The Lab Manager will support federally funded projects for building digital health tools and understanding more about how and why cognitive function varies over time in individuals with mental disorders as well as conditions like diabetes, cancer, traumatic brain injury, and many others. This role is appropriate for someone who is interested in scientific progress as well as technology accessibility. While this is listed as a lab manager role, it would also be appropriate for a doctoral level candidate seeking to transition into a combined project building and staff scientist position. If in doubt, reach out!
The ideal candidate will be a skilled project manager with a strong background in behavioral science, mental health, or psychology who can use their skills to help build and launch ambitious projects aimed at shaping the future of technology in psychiatry, locally and nationally. In addition to working closely with Dr. Germine, this person will also work with collaborators across research, clinical care, and the private sector to help guide program initiatives. This will include support for preparation of grants and manuscripts, as well as liaising with key stakeholders in the field and at the National Institutes of Health.
The Lab Manager should be able to work autonomously, without the need for extensive supervision. The lab manager will be provided with clear expectations and deadlines and will be responsible for keeping all elements of large lab projects on track to meet all deadlines. Finally, the Lab Manager will be responsible for operational and logistical functions of the lab, including purchasing, expenses, compliance reporting, and overall lab project management.
Responsibilities will include:
– Organize and provide project management for major lab operations and initiatives.
– Serve as the point person for communications with collaborators and the NIH.
– Work closely with the PI to investigate and make recommendations on infrastructure needs and program development.
– Manage all vendors working on lab initiatives.
– Support preparation of grants and manuscripts.
– Oversee logistics for lab meetings and events
– Organize workshops highlighting best practices for digital technology in health and cognitive assessment
– Serve as lab administrator, including coordinating travel, tracking expenses, and scheduling
– Requisition supplies, equipment, and consumables as needed through eBuy system.
– May have PeopleSoft Manager Self Service responsibilities, including entering of performance appraisals, employee data changes, terminations, etc.
– May have signatory authority for various requisitions, purchase orders, check requests and other documents within the scope of hospital policy.
– Other duties as assigned.
All McLean team members are expected to consistently demonstrate our values of integrity, compassion, respect, diversity, teamwork, excellence and innovation in their work activities and interactions.
McLean/Harvard Medical School strongly encourages applications from females and minority candidates. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, McLean seeks qualified candidates for all posted employment opportunities without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability or veteran status.
We are currently accepting applications and will continue accepting applications until the position is filled. Start date by September 1, 2022.
Send cover letter and curriculum vitae/resume to:
Dr. Laura Germine
115 Mill St.
Belmont, MA 02478
– Strong interpersonal skills with maturity, good judgment and discretion necessary to interact with colleagues at all levels of McLean, other MGB hospitals and Harvard Medical School, as well as other individuals key to the academic mission and success of the lab. Must also be comfortable interacting with people in academic, business and scientific settings within McLean, the Harvard community, and beyond.
– Excellent writing, planning and organizational skills.
– Must be a self- starter with ability to initiate and complete required tasks with limited direction.
– Innovative and detail-oriented.
– Ability to function independently and effectively under the pressure of deadlines and schedules.
– Ability to interact effectively in a complex organization and to communicate effectively with a wide range of departments, faculty, staff and individuals at all levels within and outside McLean.
– Demonstrated ability to manage several projects simultaneously, to be able to effectively prioritize work, and be a contributing team member with the willingness to assist with both routine and/or last minute projects
– Ability to be extremely flexible as priorities, projects, and responsibilities shift in order to best meet the needs of the team and its projects.
– Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
– Experience with graphics production and communications software preferred (Adobe Creative Cloud, Constant Contact)
BS or BA degree required, MA or higher preferred
3-5 years project management, research administration, or other relevant experience
All employees must possess basic computer skills to use a variety of electronic or online systems for communication, clinical and administrative purposes. Advanced computer skills are preferred.
It is the policy of McLean Hospital to affirmatively provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants for employment and existing employees without regard to their race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, ancestry, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable law or regulation.